Have you ever had to mince garlic by hand? It’s not the most enjoyable of kitchen prep tasks — and it always seems to take forever. Fortunately, garlic presses offer a much more convenient and quicker way to get the the job done, saving you a lot of time and effort when cooking. Rather than spending all that time carefully cutting up tiny pieces of garlic, simply place it in the press, squeeze the handles, and you have perfectly cut slices in just a few seconds.
We’ve taken the time to test out some of the most popular garlic presses available, in order to put together a list of the best garlic presses for 2020. Let’s jump right in and get started with our favorite of the bunch.
Alpha Grillers Garlic Press & Peeler Set – An Excellent Gift
A garlic press is always an excellent gift idea, especially as a wedding present, or as a gift for a housewarming party. This Alpha Grillers Garlic Press & Peeler set pairs a masterfully made garlic press with a very sharp gift box.
- Rigid Material and Design – The press has a very clean look, with oversized handles to make squeezing even easier.
- Dishwasher Safe – This press is made to handle the rigors of a dishwasher cycle if it needs a deeper clean.
- Peeler Included – Perfect for when you want to slice the clove, or simply press it easier.
- Elegant Gift Box – Each order comes inside of an alluring gift box with black velvet padding, so all you have to do is wrap it, or place it in a gift bag and you’re all set.
Since this is a very giftable garlic press, a broader selection of colors would make it even better.
This is by far the best option you can give as a gift, but it’s not just because of the box. Whether it’s for you or someone else, the garlic press itself is up to the same high standards as the other models on this list.
This option represents everything a garlic press should be. It has a firm and solid feel, is easy to hold, has lots of space for multiple cloves, and cleans up without any fuss at all. It’s also very affordable.
- No-Slip Handle – Soft formed silicone on each handle makes it easier to grip when pressing, and avoid slipping out of your hands if they are wet.
- Large Press Surface – The press lets you place anywhere from 2-3 cloves inside to press at the same time.
- Cleaning Brush Included – A small brush with thin bristles is included for fast and easy cleanup.
- Silicone Peeler – The garlic press comes paired with a silicone peeler that allows for quick peeling of cloves before pressing.
While this may seem a little petty, it would be nice to have some additional color options, especially since the press has silicone handles.
The helpful features, quality materials, and a strategic design make it highly effective at consistently producing perfect pressed garlic — and for a great price. The peeler and brush are added bonuses to an already great buy.
Kitchen Innovations Garlic-A-Peel – Best Storage
For those looking for a more versatile garlic peeler that can do a little extra, I present to you the Kitchen Innovations Garlic-A-Peel. Not only does this give you different options for how the garlic comes out, it can even store it afterwards.
- Built-In Storage – With this press, the garlic falls into a clear container, rather than whatever you’re holding it over. This lets you mince more garlic at one time before transferring it to your dish.
- Multiple Blades – The Garlic-A-Peel comes with a standard grid blade that minces garlic, and a separate blade that creates long thin slices instead.
- Bonus Peeler – Kitchen Innovations was smart to include a silicone peeler in the package, making this an even more enticing purchase.
Not everyone will be fired up about the neon green color. Perhaps Kitchen Innovations will eventually offer this in more colors.
This is one of the most unique garlic presses available, and it works incredibly well, whether you’re mincing or slicing. The storage container is a nice touch, and you get all of this for under $20, so it’s an awesome value, and offers a bit more than just basic mincing.
AE Life Press 4-Pack – Best Multipack Garlic Press
How about some other frequently used kitchen tools to go with your garlic press? The AE Life 4-Pack centers around an excellent garlic press and backs it up with a few other quality essentials as well.
- Stainless Steel – Resists rust and corrosion, as well as the occasional drop onto the floor.
- Zester & Juicer Included – A lime and lemon juicer comes with your purchase, along with a hand zester that you can use for everything from citrus, to spices, to hard cheeses.
- Cleaning Brush – A cleaning brush is included with the garlic press to help scrub out the lost little bits of garlic leftover after rinsing.
Stainless steel is always good, but it’s even better when there are rubber or silicone grips for better handling, something this press lacks.
It may be tempting to write this 4-pack off as a gimmick at first, but make no mistake about it: not only is the garlic press itself able to hold up on its own, the fact that you’re getting two other top-notch kitchen utensil all for under $30 makes this one of the best kitchen buys you’ll ever see, period.
Savor Garlic Press (Indigo) – Top Garlic Press Under $5
A quality garlic press for under $5? You bet. This Savor product has an inexplicably low price for how well it works, especially when considering other colors of the same model retail for over double the price.
- Large Capacity – The hopper of this garlic press can accommodate multiple smaller cloves or one larger elephant clove.
- Plastic Cap – A plastic cap under the hopper allows you to hold multiple cloves of minced garlic without a mess until you are ready to drop it into your dish.
- Cheap! – Seriously, this thing is under $5. You won’t find a better, cheaper option anywhere.
If only the non-indigo colors were available for this cheap…but they aren’t.
The Savor Garlic Press is not just a cheap alternative, it performs very well, has some unique advantages, and is available in other colors as well. However, if you want the under $5 price you’ll need to stick with the indigo color.
Orblue Stainless Steel – Most Popular Garlic Press
It is an incredibly popular option in the market. And while the price may be the biggest draw for most buyers, it has a solid feel and superior ease of use that can outperform most big brand garlic peelers two or three times as expensive.
- Heavy-Duty Feel – The pressing motion is easy and effective thanks to the solid construction.
- Rust & Corrosion-Proof – High-quality stainless steel makes the peeler resistant to rust and corrosion, even after years of use.
- Garlic Peeler Included -It enables you to properly prep each clove for pressing, avoiding a mess or getting your hand garlicky.
It would be nice to see Orblue include a cleaning brush in future models. Regardless, it’s still pretty easy to clean.
ThIS is an economical yet high-quality garlic press you can depend on for years and years to come. It has a stable feel, and uses both immaculate craftsmanship and top tier materials to create one of the best garlic presses you can buy.
Green Kitchen Stainless Steel – Top Garlic Press Under $10
If you’re looking for a great choice for everyday use, but don’t want to spend over $10, the Green Kitchen Stainless Steel Garlic Press is by far the best value. It performs just as well as many other garlic presses that are much more expensive, and still comes with a bonus peeler.
- Affordable – It is one of the cheapest kitchen tools you’ll come across, and costs about 1/3rd of what you’ll pay for similar versions.
- Quality Stainless Steel – The stainless steel used for this press gives it a solid and durable feel that’s easy to hold and squeeze with.
- Peeler Included – With a price this low, it’d be understandable if the company left the peeler out of the equation, but you still get one that’s a perfect companion to the peeler.
Many of our favorite garlic peelers come with a brush to make cleaning easier, but this one doesn’t — although it’s hard to complain when you’re paying around $8, right?
You can purchase the utra-cheap Green Kitchen Stainless Steel Garlic Press with full assurance that you’ll still be getting a high level garlic press that’s going to provide perfectly pressed garlic for years and years to come.
How to Use a Garlic Press
Using a garlic press is incredibly simple, and pretty much the same for most models that use the standard two-handle design, with the press and hopper (the part that holds the garlic while it’s pressed) on the end.
To begin, take a clove (or cloves) of garlic, and place it into the press’s hopper. Hold the press directly over your dish, pan, or whatever you’re placing it into, and slowly squeeze the clove until all the garlic has been mashed and pressed out of the holes and into your dish.
If you used an unpeeled clove, tap the press onto a cutting board or edge of a trash can to get the peel out.
Once you’ve emptied the press, repeat the process until you’ve pressed the proper amount of garlic for your recipe. Rinse and set to dry when you’re finished.
If you use garlic for your cooking on even an occasional basis, a garlic press is an absolutely essential kitchen gadget you should always have on hand. If you’re lacking a press, or need an upgrade, any of the above products will make a fine addition to your kitchen, and provide you with countless cloves of perfect garlic, each and every time.